Visitors

Sunday, January 5

2019 Year in Review


With 2019 in the books, it's time for some reviews and predictions. Let me start with my top 10 movies of the year. Disclaimer, there are a few I wasn't able to see... yet (1917, Honey Boy, The Lighthouse, Just Mercy being most notable). That said, here are my top 10 films of 2019 in alphabetical order:

Ford v Ferrari
Jojo Rabbit
Little Women
Marriage Story
Midsommar
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
Paddleton
Peanut Butter Falcon
The Two Popes
Uncut Gems

I'm expecting 1917 to skyrocket to the top of the list, as it's one of my most anticipated awards-season films, but as of right now, Ford v Ferrari is my Best Picture. However, since it wasn't nominated, I'm expecting Marriage Story and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood to clean up at the Golden Globes this year. These will set the precedent for the Oscars, but here is who deserves to win in the Golden Globes categories:

Best Drama - Marriage Story
Best Comedy - Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
Best Actor - Drama - Joaquin Phoenix (although I wouldn't be made at a Jonathan Pryce or Christian Bale win either but Joaquin carried his film)
Best Actor - Comedy - Leonardo DiCaprio
Best Actress - Drama - Rene Zellweger
Best Actress - Comedy - Awkwafina
Best Director - Quentin Tarantino (although Sam Mendes might win if 1917 is as great as I am hearing)
Best Supporting Actor - Brad Pitt
Best Supporting Actress - Laura Dern
Best Screenplay - Quentin Tarantino (although BongJoon Ho might be deserving if Parasite is as good as advertised)
Best Foreign Language - Parasite

We'll see how it pans out tonight...

No comments: