Visitors

Wednesday, July 18

Annual Top 100


It's been awhile since I updated my top 100 list, so I thought it might be a good summer evening task while I sit next to my air conditioner in my office. I've taken the approach of compiling these alphabetically as opposed to numerically because, let's be honest, it's arbitrary to decide which one belongs at number 37 and which one belongs at 36. Likewise, comparing comedies to dramas to thrillers to independent fare as well as films as current as 2017 to films as old as the 1940's is an arduous and futile endeavor.

I've made some changes to this list since last posted, and it's a new direction that I'm comfortable with. Gone are many of the "classics" that although are great films in their own right, and are artifacts of how film has progressed over the decades, are more or less relics and for the most part just don't hold up to the quality, innovation, acting, stories, and direction of more modern films. There are several nods I've given to directors who I believe to be worthy of recognition (if only to the particular audience who read this blog), so for that I chose their finest work. There are also several films that hold a special place for me because of how they made me feel the first time I watched them.

It's a subjective list, but one that I will defend to any and all comers. So bring your comments. Email me, post on the comment thread, or send me a text or instant message. I welcome it and honestly would love to hear your thoughts as well. So without further ado, here are Adam's Top 100 Movies of All-Time - 2018 edition.

2001
12 Angry Men
A Clockwork Orange
A History of Violence
Alien
Aliens
American Beauty
American History X
Animal House
Annie Hall
Apocalypse Now
Argo
Boogie Nights
Braveheart
Brokeback Mountain
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
Caddyshack
Captain Phillips
Casablanca
Children of Men
Chinatown
Citizen Kane
Dazed and Confused
Dead Poets Society
Deer Hunter
Dr. Strangelove
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Fargo
Fast Times at Ridgemont High
Fight Club
Forrest Gump
Full Metal Jacket
Gladiator
Good Fellas
Good Will Hunting
Half Nelson
Heat
High Noon
Inception
Inglorious Basterds
It's a Wonderful Life
Jaws
LA Confidential
M.A.S.H
Manchester by the Sea
Moneyball
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
Mystic River
No Country for Old Men
North by Northwest
One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest
Patton
Platoon
Psycho
Pulp Fiction
Raging Bull
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Rear Window
Reservoir Dogs
Return of the Jedi
Road to Perdition
Rocky
Saving Private Ryan
Scarface
Schindler's List
Se7en
Seven Samurai
Sideways
Spotlight
Star Wars
Taxi Driver
The Dark Knight
The Departed
The Empire Strikes Back
The Exorcist
The French Connection
The Godfather
The Godfather 2
The Graduate
The Hurt Locker
The Martian
The Matrix
The Revenant
The Shawshank Redemption
The Shining
The Silence of the Lambs
The Sixth Sense
The Thing
The Truman Show
The Usual Suspects
There Will Be Blood
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
Titanic
To Kill a Mockingbird
Tombstone
Training Day
Unforgiven
Up in the Air
Vertigo
Whiplash

1 comment:

Carol P said...

Great - thanks. I can't agree with all of them but then, it is subjective.