Visitors

Sunday, February 26

2017 Oscar Preview


RIP, Bill Paxton. One of my personal favorites.




The big night for film celebration is finally here, and it's time to see who will actually take home the coveted gold statues for their innovative and passionate work. This year marked a drama-free nomination process as most deserved candidates were recognized; no whitewashing or out-of-left-field nominees. Besides the political animosity, and the impending mean tweets we will no doubt hear about from our Commander-in-Chief, and some Meryl Streep jokes, it should be La La Land's night to celebrate. Without further ado, here are my projected winners for the big categories, and who I think did the best job in cinema in 2016.

Original Screenplay - Although I really liked Hell or High Water, I don't think there is a snowball's chance in hell that La La Land loses. It's as close as a sure thing as there will be for the evening, and if I'm wrong, I will be shocked.

Adapted Screenplay - Moonlight will pick up the win here. A beautiful film that made my top 5, and although I am not familiar with the source material, the overall critical response has put it in the upper echelon, therefore it deserves the award.

Supporting Actress - Viola Davis should and will win. I was a bit surprised she ended up in the supporting actress category, but the screen-time requirements must have just met the criteria. I would venture that this might have been the strongest female performance of the year as her tense scenes with Denzel Washington were some of the sharpest and emotional.

Supporting Actor - This is often my favorite category (Okay, it's my favorite every year) and always packed with scene-stealing performances. Some of the greatest characters of cinema have been supporting actors and actresses, and this year I have no gripe with any of the nominations. I find it off that Aaron Taylor-Johnson won the Golden Globe and missed out on the nomination to his co-star Michael Shannon (who deserves it), but as strong as the category is, Mahershala Ali will walk away with the win for his role in Moonlight. Who should win? Michael Shannon. His acting is hit or miss, but when he hits, he hits hard. If you haven't seen his brief appearance in Revolutionary Road (2008), check it out. He is a titan when the role is right, but his role selection is often questionable (Man of Steel, Premium Rush).

Actress - I would have liked to see Taraji P. Henson nominated for Hidden Figures, but I suppose there's no stopping Emma Stone on this one. She's swept pretty much every award along the way, and to lose out on the big one just seems too unlikely. Her performance was great, but the category was a bit weak as a whole, even if the overrated Meryl Streep is nominated.

Actor - This is a great category this year, but is really a 3 person race. Garfield and Gosling aren't legitimate threats. There is some trending in the direction of Denzel Washington for his performance in Fences, and I must say, it is warranted. Exceptional acting in a slightly too long and boring film. As outstanding as it was, and although I think he will snag the trophy for the third time in his impressive career, the more deserved actor in my opinion is Casey Affleck. He played the role with a sorrow on his face that you could feel in your soul. His performance is the things careers are remembered for.

Director - Damien Chezelle will win for La La Land. It was impressive, and I can't find fault with this choice. He's struck gold with the feel-good film of the year; a whimsical, musical romance in Hollywood. Can't really go wrong with this one.

Picture - La La Land will win. In my mind, it was a top 5 film, but not the best of the year. The most complete, emotional, and well-done film of the year was by far Manchester by the Sea. Blown away by the story, the acting, and the tone. Kenneth Lonergan shouldn't be disappointed at all for losing to La La Land, but I am.

There you have it. Is it too early to look to next year? Perhaps, but I'll still lock in one bold prediction. Daniel Day-Lewis wins his 4th Best Actor Oscar for his role in the as-yet untitled Paul Thomas Anderson period piece set in 1950's London. Last time they worked together? There Will Be Blood, which was one of the strongest acting performances of the twenty-first century. Period.

No comments: