Visitors

Saturday, November 24

Life of Pi


Yann Martel published the Life of Pi in 2001, and it received critical acclaim from the start. It is one of those stories that resonates with you long after you read it due to its originality and pure beauty. Ang Lee captures this beauty and bottles it in one of the most effective 3D films since Avatar. The story however, doesn't quite translate to the screen as easily.

The story follows a young Indian boy named Pi as he struggles to find his religious orientation, and his true path in life. His family owns a zoo, and during a move from India to Canada, their ship sinks and he finds himself in a life boat with a zebra, a hyena, an orangutan, and a Bengal tiger.

It appears to be an impossible task to bring this eclectic grouping to life on the screen, but Ang Lee does so with grace and originality. The special and visual effects are nothing short of astonishing, and his choice of which details to include, and which seem trivial is remarkable. I was a huge fan of this book when I read it (because I heard Ang Lee was making it into a movie), and I was not let down at all. It stayed true to the story, and more specifically, to the author's intent.

It is rated PG, which suggests that it is appropriate for all audiences, but my wife and I agree that it should probably be PG-13. This is not a film or a story for children. Survival on the high seas with animals eating each other is not something that children need to see. The twist at the end is also for a much more mature audience, as the story without a good amount of reflection is lost.

Ang Lee did it justice. He added a few bits of his own flare, and will certainly reap the award benefits for his troubles. Life of Pi is the most beautiful film of the year with the most intoxicating visuals. I put him down as Best Director, but the film isn't quite good enough to take the big prize. Not for a lack of trying, I don't think anyone could have done a better job. Painstaking details were put into many of the animal CGI effects, and it is amazing.

As I said, Avatar was the last time that the colors and effects moved me using the 3D technology, but in this case, the movement was a bit too much. If you are one who gets seasick or who has any trouble with the 3D format, you might want to wait for DVD on this one. There were a few times I had to remove my glasses and rub my eyes, and the movement of the ocean was at times a bit too realistic.

I liked this movie quite a bit. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but it was mesmerizing and beautiful in its presentation. Danny Elfman provides a great score, but it's really the effects that win the audience over. A Zebra swimming or jumping from a ship, or a Bengal tiger emoting his frustration or hunger to his survival companion. Simply beautiful. 8/10.

No comments: