Visitors

Wednesday, February 1

Oscar Predictions


Let's start with the snubs. Best Actor was a slugfest, and there were almost too many losers to count. The glaring omissions are Ryan Gosling, Michael Fassbender, Andy Serkis, and Michael Shannon. They all gave stirring performances (Gosling gave 3) and deserve to be recognized. Unfortunately, there are only 5 slots, and even the surprising Demian Bichir and the underrated Gary Oldman are deserving as well. Clooney and Pitt were on cruise control, but offered up two of their best performances to date, and that's impressive. My biggest gripe is Gosling, who at the very least should have been nominated for supporting actor for Crazy, Stupid, Love. I would prefer best actor in Drive, but I'm not a part of the academy.

I'm skipping certain categories that simply aren't on my radar. I'll stick to the basics. Everyone has offered their predictions of winners, but here are my choices if I were voting.

Visual Effects - Rise of the Planet of the Apes. Simply stunning eye candy.
Sound Editing - Transformers: Dark of the Moon. Bay does loud like nobody else.
Sound Mixing - Transformers: Dark of the Moon. See above.
Makeup - Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 2. The magical mind of Rowling come to life deserves some recognition.
Costume Design - Hugo. You can't get 12 nominations and not win something.
Art Direction - Hugo. See above.
Editing - Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Fincher and his team are experts at editing film. This is truly deserved.
Cinematography - War Horse. Beautifully done, the cinematography almost brings a tear to the eye.
Adapted Screenplay - The Descendants. Great story, but the execution does it justice.
Original Screenplay - Bridesmaids. Comedy genius. It's an honor just to be nominated, but this broke through the genre.
Supporting Actress - Berenice Bejo. She shined in the Artist.
Supporting Actor - I just changed my mind after watching Warrior again. Nick Nolte. Tormented father who has nothing left. He plays a drunk better than just about anyone.
Actress - Tough call, but I'm going with Michelle Williams. She encapsulated Norma Jean with gusto and grace.
Actor - Jean Dujardin. His confidence is contagious. Pitt is a close second though.
Director - Michael Hazanavicius. Absolutely timeless film that came along just when Hollywood needed a reminder of its roots.
Picture - Moneyball. I know, you're thinking "what?" This year, there were no films that were far and away better than the others. It's a close race, and I just feel it's time a sports movie got a little credit. It is a smart underdog story that hits just about every demographic possible. In a year of aspiring Oscar films (see all other nominees), Moneyball is the most sincere and natural. I loved it.

I know full well that many of these nominees won't actually take home the gold, but this is my list. Let me know what you think...

No comments: