Visitors

Friday, July 1

Horrible Bosses



This review is going to be a bit different, for reasons that will become obvious momentarily. You are probably thinking "wait, doesn't Horrible Bosses come out on July 8th? How did you see it over a week early?" The answer is simply that I have my connections, and was able to sneak a peek at the film at its premier at the historic Grauman's Chinese Theatre in Hollywood, California.



The night started with an electric buzz. We pulled in to the parking garage, and upon exiting, were met with hordes of people waving signs and cameras, screaming to see celebrities (and this movie has more than its fair share). We walked through the security checkpoint, waving our VIP premier passes, and found ourselves immediately outside the theatre, just inches from the red carpet.



We entered with the masses just minutes before the film began. The concession stand was giving out free popcorn and drinks, so I indulged (obviously). Finding my seat, I began scanning the packed audience for celebrities. I had seen Sudeikis and Aniston walk the red carpet, but everyone else was either inside, or running late.

My first spotting was Craig Robinson, of the office, then Oscar Nunez and Masi Oka immediately in front of him. I noticed a tall, slender blonde walk in with a tight white dress, and she drew quite a crowd. I couldn't tell at first, but it was Chelsea Handler. It was about this time that Jesse Metcalf walked by, looking for his own seat in the theatre. We got the five minute flash of the lights, and people started making their way to their seats. One last scan revealed Jennifer Love Hewitt and Joey Lawrence sitting down my row, across the aisle, and it caused me to exclaim "Woa!"

The film started to much applause, and it was a laugh riot from start to finish. I am biased because of the authentic movie magic of the environment, but it was fresh, funny, and just raunchy enough to make you forget all about the Hangover II.

Three friends commiserate over beers each evening about just how horrible their respective bosses are, and each has their unique flaw that is accentuated with great calculation. Kevin Spacey is a heartless narcissist, Farrell is a spoiled cocaine addict company heir, and Aniston, in what is perhaps her most entertaining role ever, is the sexually aggressive dentist who molests her assistant and comes up with more euphemisms for the penis than you've ever heard come out of a Friend's mouth.

They decide after one drunken night, and just enough frustration at work to kill their bosses. They hire a murder consultant named Motherf**ker Jones (Best character name of the year) played by Jamie Foxx, who convinces them to re-enact Strangers on a Train. A series of unfortunate events lead to both hilarity and calamity, and each winds up in for much more than they ever thought they would.

The three stars of the film are Jason Bateman, Jason Sudeikis, and Charlie Day, who is destined to break out as the next big comedy actor. This film will do for him what the Hangover did for Galifinakis, just watch. The Jasons interact with a natural flow that accentuates their strengths, which is timing. What makes them and so many others great isn't necessarily that something funny is said, but more how it's said, and they play off each other nicely.

The writing of this film is fantastic, and the actors were allowed freedom to improvise dialogue, and play these outrageous characters (more the bosses than the 3 stars) while being led in a direction that leads to a smart and satisfying conclusion. I happened to meet the girlfriend of one of the writers, John Francis Daley, who you might recognize from Freaks and Geeks, or Waiting. Expect good things from him in the future, as he seems to be running with the New Line comedy crowd.

My opinion is obviously a bit amplified by the excitement, but the film frankly ended too soon. I could watch Day and the Jasons just hanging out for days, and Spacey and Farrell entered territory that we haven't seen much of before. The real icing is Aniston though. Never before have I been a fan, but she's on the upswing in my book, departing from romantic comedies. She has a real dirty mouth, but clearly enjoyed the role, and used her sexuality to push it to the edge of the envelope.

The most funny film of the summer season so far. Definitely worth watching. 10/10*.


After the film, we exited Grauman's to massive crowds and paparazzi just waiting to take my picture. Wait, they were waiting for celebrities. I digress. The stars exited one by one; Bateman, Julie Bowen, Charlie Day, and finally Jamie Foxx. I took an opportunity to get a picture with Craig Robinson (Darryl) and gave him the "It's Bo Bice...s Brother!" line. He was really impressed (or just a happy guy). Once clear, we worked our way past the lines of autograph seekers, and hopped in the Escalade for the after-party.



At the after-party, I saddled up to the bar to take the edge off. My mission of the evening was to engage in a meaningful (or any) conversation with a full-fledged movie star. I missed my first opportunity, as Ioan Gruffudd was getting a drink right next to me. I took a lap around the club, which was called the Colony, and found some delicious spare ribs, chicken with mole, and mashed potatoes. I enjoyed my meal a mere fifteen feet away from Jason Bateman, who was entertaining a small group of his friends. I saw a few other celebrities while on my stroll; the wedding singer from Old School and the Hangover, Dan Finnerty.

Strolling around, I found an empty booth, so I sat down to take in the magical atmosphere that was going on around me. I was rubbing elbows with the Hollywood elite; producers, executives, writers, directors, and yes, movie stars.

A woman and her mother sat down at my booth, and we began chatting. I talked about my life and career in Seattle, and she talked about her boyfriend, John Francis Daley. Impressive. I found my group again, and we sat down for a few minutes before my liquid courage kicked in, and I made my move. Right for Jason Sudeikis. He was chatting to someone I didn't recognize, but the two of them were very receptive to my interjection. We talked about the movie, teaching, Nirvana, Charlie Day's impending superstardom, and Will Ferrell (not sure how the conversation took that turn) I left before I felt too intrusive, and was secretly jumping up and down on the inside.



The night ended the way any good night should. I shook the hand of a Best Actor Oscar winner, Jamie Foxx. I was feeling brave, so approached his booth while his six foot eight, three hundred-fifty pound bodyguard left (presumably to get another plate of food). I told him I enjoyed his performance in the film, and wanted to shake his hand. He was receptive, and my only regret was to not take advantage of a photo op.

We left, and I felt a sense of self-satisfaction. I couldn't help but think as I was leaving, I could do that. It's not that difficult to make movies. I still maintain that mindset, but it's a truly fortunate life that these men and women lead, and considering the social pressures and public scrutiny, I found each and every one of them to be very congenial and friendly.

It was truly an incredible once in a lifetime experience that I hope I someday have the privilege of repeating.

No comments: