Visitors

Monday, August 3

Greatest Actor of the last 50 Years


In an attempt to broaden my audience, as well as add a little flair to the monotony of film reviews, I have decided to create a four part commentary with objective analysis to determine who is the greatest actor of the past half century. There may be some dispute as to who my selections are, and I invite any and all opinions, comments and challenges.

I chose the past 50 years because quite honestly, film has changed dramatically since the 1960's. With the advent of visual effects and fickle audience expectations and taste, it is nearly impossible to compare a Bogart to a DiCaprio. That said, my choices of actors to compare is partially due to their critically acclaimed body of work, partially due to my own respect for their attention to their craft, and partially arbitrary. There are dozens of actors who one could say belong with the four I have selected; Denzel, Philip Seymour, Hoffman, Hackman, Redford, Newman, DiCaprio, the list goes on and on.

The decision is not based entirely on Oscars, although all of my choices for greatest actor have won at least one in their careers. The primary reason for this is that Oscar is sometimes wrong. Take 1999 - Shakespeare in Love? More deserving than Saving Private Ryan? 2006 - Crash is a better film than Brokeback Mountain, a History of Violence or Munich? What about Shawshank Redemption - arguably the best movie of the past 20 years. It received the nominations, but didn't win a single award. My point is that Oscars should not be the basis for evaluation. Body of work, choices of roles, and the lasting impressions that are left far after a viewer walks away from the theatre (or watches a DVD) are what make actors memorable and deserving of credit.

The evaluation will consist of analysis of the 5 most important roles for each actor. Some were benefited by a great director, a great story, a juicy character to portray or an outstanding supporting cast. However, these roles were all played with such energy and vigor that it is impossible to deny their skills.

The four part commentary will conclude with the 2009 edition of the top 100 films of all time as assembled by yours truly.

May the best Actor win...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is so subjective it is hard to judge or make comparisons. My basis for declaring an actor as great is often if you are absorbed into the story and forget they are acting. Some of my favorites are chameleons in that way, which makes them versatile. Looking forward to the next installment.

Anonymous said...

Very subjective. My Mt. Rushmore of actors only goes back 25 years or so. My choices are more popular than good. Hanks (my #1), De Niro, Nicholson, and Cruise. Will Smith and Damon might knock Cruise out soon. Probably left out some names. These were the four that pop up.

Marc